View My Stats

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Roy Rogers Museum: Closed Forever

I know that some of you could probably care less about this, but I thought it was interesting how much some of the stuff sold for.....


The Roy Rogers Museum has closed its doors forever

This is for the over " 55 group" who know Roy
Rogers & Dale Evans . ( King & Queen of the
Cowboys )
The Roy Rogers Museum has
closed its doors forever.

Here is a partial listing of some of the items
that were sold at auction...

Roy's 1964 Bonneville sold for $254,500, it
was estimated to sell between 100 and 150 thousand
dollars.


His script book from the January 14,1953 episode
of This Is Your Life sold for $10,000 (est.
$800-$1,000)

A collection of signed baseballs (Pete Rose, Duke
Snyder and other greats) sold for $3,750

A collection of signed bats (Yogi Berra, Enos
Slaughter, Bob Feller, and others) sold for
$2,750.

Trigger's saddle and bridle sold for $386,500
(est. 100-150 K)

One of many of Roy 's shirts sold for $16,250
and one of his many cowboy hats sold for $17,500.
One set of boot spurs sold for $10,625. (He never
used a set of spurs on Trigger.)

A life size shooting gallery sold for $27,500.

Various chandeliers sold from $6,875 to $20,000.
Very unique and artistic in their western style.

A signed photograph by Don Larsen taken during his
perfect game in the world series against the Dodgers on
Oct. 8, 1953, along with a signed baseball to Roy from Don,
Sold for $2,500

Two fabulous limited edition BB guns in their
original boxes with numerous photos of Roy, Dale, Gabby,
And Pat sold for $3,750.

A collection of memorabilia from his shows
entertaining the troops in Vietnam sold for
$938. I never knew he was there. His flight jacket
Sold for $7,500.
His set of dinner ware plates and silverware sold
for $11,875. The Bible they used at the dinner
table every night sold for $8,750.

One of several of his guitars sold for $27,500.

Nellybelle sold for $116,500.
A fabulous painting of Roy, Dale, Pat, Buttermilk,
Trigger, and Bullet sold for $10,625.

One of several sets of movie posters sold for
$18,750.

A black and white photograph of Gene Autry with a
touching inscription from Gene to Roy sold for
$17,500.

A Republic Productions Poster bearing many
Autographs of the people that played in Roy's movies sold for
$11,875.

Dale's horse, Buttermilk (whose history is
Very interesting) sold below the presale estimate for $25,000.
(est. 30-40 K)
Bullet sold for $35,000 (est. 10-15 K). He was
their real pet.

Dale's parade saddle, estimated to sell between
20-30 K, sold for $104,500.

One of many pairs of Roy's boots sold for
$21,250.

Trigger sold for $266,500. Do you remember the 1938 movie The Adventures of
Robinhood with Errol Flynn and Olivia de
Havilland? Well Olivia rode Trigger in that
Movie. Trigger was bred on a farm co-owned by Bing
Crosby. Roy bought Trigger on a time payment plan for
$2,500. Roy and Trigger made 188 movies
Together. Trigger even out did Bob Hope by winning an
Oscar in the movie Son of Paleface in 1953.

It is extremely sad to see this era lost
forever. Despite the fact that Gene and
Roy's movies, as well as those of other great
characters, can be bought or rented for viewing, today's
Kids would rather spend their time playing video games.
Today it takes a very special pair of parents to raise
their kids with the right values and morals.
These were the great heroes of our childhood, and
They did teach us right from wrong, and how to
Have and show respect for each other and the
Animals that share this earth.

You and I were born at the right time. We were
Able to grow up with these great people even if we
Never met them. In their own way they taught us
Patriotism and honor, we learned that lying and
Cheating were bad, and sex wasn't as important as love.
We learned how to suffer through disappointment and failure
And work through it. Our lives were drug free.


So it's good-bye to Roy and Dale, Gene and Hoppy, The
Lone Ranger and Tonto. Farewell to Sky King and Superman
And Sgt. Friday. Thanks to Capt. Kangaroo, Mr. Rogers
And Capt. Noah and all those people whose lives
Touched ours, and made them better.

A time in History, never to be seen again, but
What a ride it was...

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for your article..I am producing a movie and documentary about Dale Evans and need all the support I can get. Like you said...the era of these great heros have gone. It's up to us to keep them alive. Please spread the word. DaleEvans.com
    Thank you, again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tribute
    I always wanted to go to their ranch in Victorville - figured I would never get there

    Found myself driving from Vegas to San Diego and what do you know - a sign outside Victorville saying Roy Rogers Museum and Ranch - I had to stop - I got to a gas station to get directions and was told sorry - the museum moved to Branson - and someone else owns the ranch...... I was very upset that I missed out by only two years ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got to see the museum at Victorville and will cherish that
    trip forever. My Brother took me there on my 44th birthday, and I got to meet Roy in person and my childhood hero kissed me and I thought I would never wash my lips again!!!! It was a very special day, spending it with my beloved Brother who passed away not long after that. So I have two heros in heaven. May they both rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roy Rogers will always be my hero. Thanks to my wonderful brother Norm, I got to meet Roy on my 44th birthday and I still have the picture of myself and Roy together. A memory that will last forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks Lyle Davis, for an outstanding and heartfelt tribute. What great times we had; gotta laugh, when I think about my six-shooters with stick-on round caps on the bullets. Like Bob Hope said: Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the information. I saw the museum in Victorville in 1997, hoping that Roy would be around. It's hard to believe it's all over.

    ReplyDelete