View My Stats

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Evelyn used to announce she was going shopping at either Costco or Wal Mar and then asked, "do you wanna go?" She knows better than to ask me that now. If/when I do go there, I go it alone. I'm in and out in 20 minutes, tops. Evelyn loves to shop so she spends an eternity at each store.

A high school pal of mine recounted ub a recent email "this is where I'd wanna be if I were on vacation," hit home with me. I've often had the same feeling. Why spend all that money on airline tickets, put up with the ridiculous security procedures, check-in times, surly air crew, to go someplace and then return home . . . to paradise? Hard to beat our weather here .. . and plenty of scenic vistas to enjoy. If I really, really want to relax I go to La Jolla, spread a blanket on the soft, soft grass . . . and just watch the waves . . . and listen to them as they pound the shore. Not much prettier sights to be had, not a much prettier sound to fall asleep to.

Seeing all that has happened in Japan I recalled my research on the Mormons I had read of their practice of storing food . . . and of sharing with the communities.

I am probably closest to the Baha'i in my religious views . . . but if I were a Christian, I believe I'd join the Mormons. They just have a life style that is hard to beat. They don't abuse their bodies with alcohol or tobacco, they have a great sense of family, of community, and of sharing. They don't make a big deal out of, nor advertise, all that they give and all that they do in aiding the community during disasters. I have always admired the Mormons a great deal. They are just super, super people (as are the Bahai's.)

Last night, Evelyn made it known that she was hungry. About 20 minutes later she comes into the office and says, "so are you ready to go?"

"Go where?" I asked, innocently.

"Out to dinner. Didn't you hear me say I was getting hungry?"

"Ah, yes, I did hear you say that. Let me see if I have this straight. When you say 'I'm hungry,' I am to interpret that as . . . 'let's go out to eat?'

"I think that would be a safe assumption," she said.

Since Ms. Davis didn't raise any dumb kids, I went and shaved and got dressed. (Well, I put my tennis shorts on, sandals, a polo shirt and a windbreaker jacket).

I asked her what she was in the mood for. "Chilean Sea Bass," she said. I immediately decided to look for that pistol I have hidden somewhere in the house as I figured I'd probably need to rob a bank somewhere en route to Carmela's, the restaurant that serves this delectable dish of Chilean Sea Bass. At $28.60 a plate.

"Do you really think you're worth $28 a plate?" I asked.

"That and a whole lot more," she answered, rather matter-of-factly.

I know when I'm whipped.

We arrived at Carmela's only to find a half hour wait. We decided the poor dear, Ms. Evelyn, would likely expire from starvation before a half hour had gone by . . . so we opted to go to Phil's BBQ, a new restaurant that is drawing raves. We decided to check it out. It had long, long lines, waiting to get in.

I don't know if you have a Five Guys Restaurant where you live or not. They are in the LA area and have just expanded to San Diego County with one location in San Marcos. We decided to give them a try.

A quiet, romantic, intimate restaurant, it is not.

It is raucous. Lines of people (though fast moving) enter the building, corridors built of 50 lbs sacks of Idaho potatoes (a clever marketing/merchandising gimmick) guide you to the ordering station, you then either stand around and wait or grab a table and wait for them to call your number. Meanwhile, you grab a couple trays of salted peanuts in the shell, to munch on while you await your number being called.

It really doesn't take all that long before your order is ready and it's great people watching time. Evelyn and I both noticed this fairly attractive young (maybe 17-19 years old) girl, who looked middle eastern but who also had humongous boobs. Evelyn thought they were not hers . . . I tend to believe she received them directly from the Baby Jesus. I also commented that they probably were quite uncomfortable and Evelyn agreed .. . so large that I'm sure the young lads took notice of them . . but that she must pay a heavy price with a sore back and other discomforts, lugging them around on her chest.

It was a nice crowd, mostly young folks, but a few old farts, like us. Loud music playing to the point it was difficult to hear what your table mate was saying. Finally, they called number 10 and I dutifully went to claim our feast. I had the regular hamburger, which comes with two patties . . . all the fixin's you want. Evelyn had the smaller cheeseburger, we shared a large order of French Fries (get the small french fries; the large is waaaaaay too big, even for two people). Malt vinegar at the table was super for the fries. That's the way the Brits eat their chips (fries) and it's the only way to properly enjoy fries. Catsup is passe'.

I had read all the raves about Five Guys Hamburgers and how they were just the finest thing money could buy for $5. Well, maybe. I thought it was a fine tasting hamburger . . . probably a shade above In N Out Burgers . . .but not by much. But I didn't think it deserved quite the raves I had read about. An excellent hamburger for $5. That's accurate. Any more than that is hyperbole.

The restaurant itself is . . . interesting. But probably not the type of restaurant I'd go rushing back to. You can order on line, go and pick up the burgers waiting for you; not even sure I'd do that. An interesting experience. Glad we went there . . . not sure I'll rush right back.

Today promises to be a quiet, relaxing day. A soft morning mist/fog as I took Trixie out this morning. Picked up the morning paper and shall commence reading it now. Then breakfast, then a nap . . . then, who knows what exciting adventure awaits me next?

POOF! I"m outta here!

lyle

1 comment: