View My Stats

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Dorothy Parker Recalled

Those of us who are a wee bit older will remember Dorothy Parker and her famous quotes:

In a book review: "This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It
should be thrown aside with great force."

A few of my other favorite Dorothy witticisms:

"You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think."

"It's a small apartment, I've barely enough room to lay my hat and a few
friends.

"On learning that Calvin Coolidge was dead she remarked, "How could they
tell?"

In 1925, Harold Ross was struggling to keep The New Yorker magazine alive
with a tiny, inexperienced staff and an office with one typewriter.
Running into Dorothy, Ross said, "I thought you were coming into the office to
write a piece last week. What happened?"

Dorothy replied, "Somebody was using the pencil."

"I can't write five words but that I change seven."

"Brevity is the soul of lingerie."

"I like to have a martini,
Two at the very most.
After three I'm under the table,
After four I'm under my host!"

"His body has gone to his head."

And the piece de resistance:
"Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses."

No comments:

Post a Comment