View My Stats

Monday, December 28, 2009

Kentucky father, son attempt to trade lizard for booze

Kentucky father, son attempt to trade stolen lizard for booze

by Rachel Nix

Posted on December 22, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Updated Wednesday, Dec 23 at 6:40 PM


(WHAS11) - Two men in eastern Kentucky are facing charges after stealing an exotic pet and trying to trade him for booze.

Last week, David Martt, 44, and his son Harley, 18, walked down a road in Morehead, Kentucky and what transpired over the next couple hours coast them their freedom and has a reptile fighting to save his tail.

The Martts walked into 1st Street Liquors. "They was [sic] just really walking up and down the aisles searching for stuff," said Stella Kegley of 1st Street Liquors. Kegley says after the Martts spent 10 minutes in her store she says they were, “out to steal some liquor".

When they didn't get what they wanted, they went next door. After striking out again, they went a little further, to Eagle’s Pet Landing Hospital.

As Harley Martt made an appointment at the counter with his real name, phone number and address, authorities say his father, David, reached into the aquarium and grabbed “Big”, a 2-year-old bearded dragon.

After putting him under his jacket, David Martt went back up to the counter and talked for a few more minutes before both Martts left.

They then headed to J&B Gun and Archery. Jeff Furnish, of J&B Gun and Archery, says he has seen people try to pawn all kinds of things, but never a lizard.

“So he opened up his jacket. He had the lizard underneath his coat and I said nah, not interested in the iguana," said Furnish.
After the Martts and Big left the gun store, they tried again to swap the reptile for alcohol or anything else.

After failing again, they went home where they met Officer Mike Curtis, of the Morehead Police Department.

“We went and spoke with them for a few minutes and they came across with the lizard after a little bit of discussion," said Curtis, “they had him under a couch in the living room."

Curtis said the Martts really provided no excuse or explanation for their actions.

Harley Martt is out of jail but his father David remains in the Rowan County Detention Center on a $500 bond, about twice the value of "Big" the lizard

No comments:

Post a Comment