View My Stats

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Food from "the old school"

New Stuff
from Joyce Svevad Harden

Hi Guys! I was trying to think of what I would fix for supper tonight -- it's supposed to start raining hard along with some hail so that meant no grilling tonight. After awhile, my old noodle had an idea, but first, I'll tell you how I got this recipe.

We didn't get hot lunches at Adams Elementary School until I was in about the 3rd or 4th grade. I remember my sister, Janice, & I going home and raving about the wonderful barbecued beef sandwiches they had. My Mom had never cooked anything like that so she finagled Dorothy Young's mother (who worked in the school cafeteria) for the recipe. Mrs. Young really wasn't supposed to give out the recipes, but my Mom was persistent & she finally gave it to her. The original recipe served 100, but Don cut it down for me to use just 1 lb. of hamburger so we can occassionally enjoy this wonderful memory. I know there were a lot of things the Omaha Public Schools served that we thought weren't very wonderful, but this one is a good one to have -- so I thought "I'll bet I'm the only one from my class that has this recipe, so I should pass it on." If anyone is interested, here it is:


OMAHA PUBLIC SCHOOL BARBECUED BEEF

1 lb. hamburger 2/3 C. catsup
1 tsp. lemon juice 1 Tblsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. dry mustard 1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tblsp. vinegar 2 Tblsp. water
1/2 C. chopped onion 1/2 C. chopped celery

Cook beef until done. Make sauce by combining liquids,
sugar, vegetables & seasonings. Combine sauce with
cooked beef. Simmer. Serve on buns.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment